Saturday, February 5, 2011

I love you 'Arsenal'

I live football.

Les Bleus with the '98 World Cup
It was the '98 world cup finals and I still remember the blue and yellow army marching up side by side to the ground. Dad asked me whom I was supporting and I said, Blue. " Blue is a good color dad ". " Okay, I support Yellow", he said. As the match kick-started, I, even though I knew nothing about the beautiful game, started cheering for the men in blues (Les Bleus).
ManUTD, 2002 League Champs
I still remember the game. 3-0 it was for the Les Bleus. That was my first ever football game watched with serious interest and the bald headed tall guy marked a place in my heart. Zinedine Zidane.

As years past by, I began to get familiar with the club football and, the most popular name was Manchester United. I was a great fan of the club and players till I started observing football in a deeper level.  2002 was the year when I started observing the game and started having opinions of my own and It was the last time I ever supported Manchester United. Glad that they did win the league that year.


The Arsenal Crest
2003 was a whole new year for me when I discovered a different kind of football played by a certain team called 'Arsenal'. There was literally nothing to complain about the team, or the way they played football. I still remember the very active 'good looking' coach by the name Arsene Wenger. I thought he owned the club, thus naming it 'Arsenal'. It took me nearly an year to be familiar with the team and their way of playing football. 2004 was the best of all, when they did the Unbeaten run of 49 games plus winning the league. Since then, that was the way of football for me. Since then to me, Arsenal is the way football should be played. Still remember the best team ever, consisting of Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Sylvian Wiltord, David Seaman, Jens Lehmann, Sol Campbell etc. To make things even better, my love towards France just got better knowing Arsene Wenger is from France.

Obviously, supporting a club is being with them through their best as well as worst times and there has been many hard times for me being an Arsenal fan, especially when Arsene Wenger sold Thierry Henry to Barcelona and the transfer of Matheu Flamini, Edu Gasper etc, but still, I believe Arsenal is the team which made me realize the real art of playing football. It has been really hard to see the Gunners without a trophy since 2005 (When they won their last FA CUP) but I still put my faith on Arsenal and Arsene Wenger expecting trophies at-least this season. I certainly do understand the lack of trophies and the frequent controversies revolving around the team and Arsene Wenger. Nevertheless, to me, Arsenal still is the best team in the world and I will be a die hard Arsenal Fan till my last breath

I Love you 'Arsenal'.  

No comments: